Informational Website

Getting Out Of A DUI/DWI

Getting Out Of A DUI/DWI

Have you recently been charged with drunk driving? If so, you are probably interested in avoiding a conviction for DUI or DWI. While there is no fail-proof way to get out of a drinking and driving charge, there are certain steps you can take to greatly minimize the chances of being convicted. The penalties for a DUI conviction include jail time, probation, community service, fines, and loss of driving privileges.

Contact An Attorney About Your DUI/DWI

The first thing you should do is engage the services of an experienced, qualified, DUI/DWI defense attorney. Because drunk-driving law is complex and specialized, it is important to locate an attorney who focuses exclusively on defending clients who are accused of driving under the influence.

You may wonder if it is worth it to hire an attorney, rather than representing yourself or pleading guilty. Being convicted of a DUI is expensive – you will be ordered to pay fines, court costs, and shoulder the expense for mandatory alcohol and drugs education classes and treatment. In addition, you may end up missing days of work so you can perform your community service hours. You really have to ask yourself if you can afford not to hire a knowledgeable defense lawyer.

After you hire an attorney, he or she will review the facts of your case. It is important to thoroughly go over the events that happened during your arrest. There are several defenses that could be used on your behalf. For example, the police officer must have probable cause to stop you. If there was no probable cause, your case may be thrown out.

Discrediting A Field Sobriety Test

Likewise, if you failed the field sobriety test, it could be due to less-than-ideal conditions. Was the ground that you performed the test on, wet, slippery, or uneven? Do you have a physical condition that makes it difficult to perform the field sobriety tests? If so, that can destroy the credibility of the test results.

During the trial, it is important to be courteous. In the event that you are found guilty, your polite conduct may be used in your favor. There are several alternatives to jail that a judge may order, including work release, work furlough, electronic monitoring, or a suspended jail sentence.

AK Alaska LA Louisiana OH Ohio
AL Alabama MA Massachusetts OK Oklahoma
AR Arkansas MD Maryland OR Oregon
AZ Arizona ME Maine PA Pennsylvania
CA California MI Michigan RI Rhode Island
CO Colorado MN Minnesota SC South Carolina
CT Connecticut MO Missouri SD South Dakota
DE Delaware MS Mississippi TN Tennessee
FL Florida MT Montana TX Texas
GA Georgia NC North Carolina UT Utah
HI Hawaii ND North Dakota VT Vermont
IA Iowa NE Nebraska VA Virginia
ID Idaho NH New Hampshire WA Washington State
IL Illinois NJ New Jersey WI Wisconsin
IN Indiana NM New Mexico WV West Virginia
KS Kansas NV Nevada WY Wyoming
KY Kentucky NY New York DC Washington DC